SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Mon Feb 18 15:24:27 AEST 1991

In article <3215 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>  Here's a though for you, since the bug is in the emulator, and you
>have a coprocessor, could it be that the system isn't seeing the coproc,
>and that when you find out why, not only will the bug go away, but the
>system should be a tad faster, too.

Bill, the bug is *not* in the emulator.  It's in the way the entire system
(kernel and emulator) were designed.  I posted a longish article going into
this in a bit of detail.

The upshot is that no ISC system before 2.2 can be configured to "fix" it,
and no ISC 2.2 system can be configured to fix it if the machine does not
have an FPU (note that 486s have an FPU, so they're "safe," after being
configured properly).

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."