Compiling X Clients for X386 1.1 on ESIX 3.2.D with gcc-1.39

Glenn G. Lai glenn at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 26 16:41:44 AEST 1991

I have a question about compiling X clients for X386 1.1 on ESIX 3.2.D using
gcc-1.39.  When I was generating the executable, the linker complained that
certain routines "first used in /usr/lib/X11/libX11.a" weren't defined, some
of which were "socket,""connect," and "gethostbyname."  I understand that such
routines are in "libnet.a," but when I added the "-lnet" switch, a new set of
undefined symbols were generated.  What's the correct way to go about this?

One other thing:  How do I use shared libraries to reduce code size?

Any help is appreciated.

Glenn
glenn at cs.utexas.edu