Swan ET4000 SVGA (1 Meg); Thomas Roell's X386; ftp site for v1.1

Chin Fang fangchin at portia.Stanford.EDU
Sat Feb 16 18:46:42 AEST 1991

I got my ET4000 based SVGA card from Swan Technology today (2/15/91).

Having no MSDOS thing at all on my ESIX box, I have no way to tell clock
frequencies of "crystals" for the time being.  Besides, this card comes with
a new animal called VCO chip (voltage controlled oscillator). Quote:

"This high-technology chip is capable of reproducing any scan frequency in the
 range of 20 to 45 Mhz, and provides a bandwidth of 65 Mhz" -- from Swan's doc.

X386 works at 640x480 without a hitch. It's reputation of being super fast is
indeed true (I knew it already when I tried it with my Paradise Professional).

Since I have no way to determine "crystal" frequencies now (and I don't know
with this VCO chip, how can clock.exe handle it), so I did some experiments
with other cards crystal settings and/or combos of these.

Results?  No success so far.  Always server fatal error, no such clock speed.
and then nothing showed up.

I wonder whether anyone has made any progress so far beyond 640x480 using this
revised Swan SVGA card?  Can you use clock.exe to determine any "clock speed"?
If so, would you please either post or email to me?

If worst comes to the worst, I may have to call Swan and get a RMA or exchange
for an old version with soldered on crystals.  Hope that's not the case.

Finally, I have the latest X386 binary release v.1.1, src and fonts directly
imported not long ago.  But I cann't find a pub-ftp machine at Stanford. However
I will be happy to transfer it to anyone who can set up such a site in States.
If anyone is willing to do so, please email me the ftp machine's ip, I will
check it out and then I will ftp all binaries/src/fonts to it. Let's make this
piece of great software available to more people!

As always, Many thanks to Thomas.

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department