SECURITY BUG IN DELL UNIX SYSV.3.2/1.0

James Howard jrh at mustang.dell.com
Mon Feb 18 17:37:13 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb16.061421.23227 at cbnewsi.att.com>, rmz at cbnewsi.att.com
(robert.m.zachok) writes:
 > In article <15185>, by jrh at mustang.dell.com (James Howard) writes
 > >
 > > I believe this covers the cases where it might be a problem, as well
 > > as a fairly wide range of hardware.  If a Dell customer has the bug,
 > > it might be with Dell UNIX 1.0, which did not have the 3.2.1 fixes
 > > applied.  Such a customer should contact Dell Technical Support or send
 > > mail to support at dell.dell.com (or support at uudell.dell.com) to inquire as
 > > to bug a fix.  I did not test Dell UNIX 1.0, because I could not locate
 > > a system in house running the older version software.  I would very much
 > > like to hear from anyone with Dell UNIX that is experiencing the bug
 > > described above.
 > >
 > I've got a Dell 310 running Dell V.3.2/1.0 without a coprocessor and
 > it faithfully executes the test program, so not ALL Dell systems are exempt
 > from the bug.  I can't speak for 3.2/1.0 systems with a coprocessor.
 >
 > Bob Zachok
 > currently at
 > rmz at cbnewsi.att.com
 > (908) 957-2301

Bob, please contact our support group today (or as soon as possible
thereafter) about a solution to the problem.  If they have any questions
about this (I don't know if they are all familiar with it, some were
out last week) have them contact me for more information.

This is a very important problem, I was afraid 1.0 would be a affected,
but as I stated in my earlier message, I did not have a machine set up
to test for it.

James Howard        Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
(512) 343-3480      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:jrh at mustang.dell.com
                    Austin, TX 78759-7299