2 fas drivers, 1 machine

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Mon Feb 11 10:36:01 AEST 1991

gws at n8emr.uucp (Gary Sanders) writes:

>Can you install 2 copys of the fas driver in one machines?
>
>What I am trying to do is add a second AST 4 port card and
>looking for the best way to do this.
>
>I have 2 AST 4 port cards, 8 bit versions. Right now one is
>installed and working fine on irq4/02a0h with fas207, (soon 208).
>
>Can I run 2 copys of the fas drivers. Set one up on IRQ3 with 01a0 as
>the starting address and one on IRQ4 with 02a0 as the start address.
>Can I run 2 copys and have the same IRQ with shared address mode set?
>
>Can I reconfigure my current fas driver to start at 01a0 and go up to 02bf
>and have a bunch of dummy ports in between the lower and upper 4?
>
>Anyone know of a cheap source for 8 port serial cards.

No, what I think you should do is modify your space.c so FAS is aware of all
of your AST FourPort cards.  You may also want to take advantage of the shared
interrupts since you have a pair of AST boards which do support shared
interrupts.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca