X386 configuration

Rick Summerhill rrsum at matt.ksu.ksu.edu
Fri Feb 22 02:11:45 AEST 1991

I recently installed the new X386 server by Thomas Roell.  My machine
has a Sigma Legend graphics card with an ET4000 chip and a NEC
Multisync 5D.  I have been successfully using the previous version of
the server with no problems, and with the following line in Xconfig:

"1024x768"  65    1024 1096 1272 1328    768  776  778  808

With this 1024x768 resolution, the viewing was just beautiful.  After
installing the new server, the same configuration no longer works.
The bad symptoms are 2 fold:

    1.  The root window, and all subwindows, have an hour-glass shape.
    2.  There is a very obvious and annoying flicker.

Fiddling with the syncs varies the flicker rate some, buth the hour-glass
shape stayes the same.  Interestingly enough, if I use the line

"1152x900"  65    1152 1184 1288 1360    900  898  929  939   Interlace

then the root window is normal shape and, although somewhat grainy, the
viewing is fine. (Note that both these lines are in the default Xconfig
that comes with the server, except that the chip speed is 62 instead of
65).

Has anyone else noticed these problems and is there an obvious fix?  Am
I overlooking something obvious?

--Rick

--
Rick Summerhill          	Phone:  (913)532-6311
CTA, Cardwell Hall       	FAX:    (913)532-5914
Kansas State University  	Net:    rrsum at hermzel.ksu.ksu.edu
Manhattan, KS 66506