Building X11R4 on SUN 386i

Pawan Verma verma at einstein.eds.com
Fri Feb 22 02:57:26 AEST 1991

Hello,
       I am trying to build X windows (X11R4) on sun 386i running
sunos 4.0.1. I set up my config parameters and did a make world. These
sources are patched up until patch level 18. Most most my build went off
OK, except that I am having problems building libXmu.so.4.0 Following
is the command line :

(cd shared; ld -o ../libXmu.so.4.0~ -assert pure-text AllCmap.o  Atoms.o
ClientWin.o  CloseHook.o  CmapAlloc.o  CrCmap.o  CrPixFBit.o  CursorName.o
CvtCache.o  CvtStdSel.o  DefErrMsg.o  DelCmap.o  DisplayQue.o  DrawLogo.o
DrRndRect.o  FToCback.o  GetHost.o  GrayPixmap.o  Initer.o  LocBitmap.o
Lookup.o  LookupCmap.o  Lower.o  RdBitF.o  ScrOfWin.o  ShapeWidg.o  StdCmap.o
StrToBS.o  StrToBmap.o  StrToCurs.o  StrToJust.o  StrToLong.o  StrToOrnt.o
StrToShap.o  StrToWidg.o  UpdMapHint.o  VisCmap.o  Xct.o)

Following is the error message:

ld: assert pure-text failed at d2d in CmapAlloc.o
ld: assert pure-text failed at f1d in CmapAlloc.o

Now, CmapAlloc.o is made earlier as follows:

cc -pic -c -DSHAREDCODE -DSUNSHLIB -O   -I../../.       CmapAlloc.c
mv CmapAlloc.o shared
(No problems here !)

I have tried making CmapAlloc.o without the -O (optimizer) and still get the
"ld: assert pure-text failed" error while trying to build the shared lib.

Any thoughts or any kind of assistance from X or 386 i hackers will be
highly appreciated, as I am stuck at this problem and have no ideas what
to try next in order to nail the problem!!!

Thank you much in advance !!!!

Pawan Verma
Electronic Data Systems Corp. (TSD)

my email: verma at einstein.eds.com