Equinox question

Scott O'Connell scotto at ipars.UUCP
Wed Feb 20 07:04:43 AEST 1991

In article <27B79130.5C72 at telly.on.ca> evan at telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>I've been looking at the Equinox Megaport boards and they look like a
>decent deal. Then someone said that they won't do hardware flow control
>and modem control on the same port at the same time.

The Equinox Megaport _will_ do hardware flow control.  I'm doing it here
on ipars and it works great.  It does take some work and you need Equinox
drivers that support this feature.

Since the origins of Equinox products only needed 2 control signals (1-in
1-out) per data port, they support DTR/CD on each port by default.  This
is sufficent for standard ports.  If you want to use RTS/CTS you must
"steal" the hardware from an ajacent port.  Here is an example of my
installation:

	ttyaA	Telebit T2500 with 19200 locked interface and hw/flow
	ttyab	Wyse 60 with xon/xoff
	ttyaC	Telebit T2500 with 19200 locked interface and hw/flow
	ttyad	Wyse 60 with xon/xoff
	ttyaE	PPI 9600SA with 38400 locked interface and hw/flow
	ttyaf	Wyse 60 with xon/xoff
	ttyaG	Hayes 2400 using DTR/CD only.

In the above example I use the control signals from ttyab on ttyaa to
give me DTR/CD and RTS/CTS.  etc..

>Is this true? It would strike me that having both functions is to get a
>Telebit going at top speed. Or is it -- can a Telebit be run at full
>speed on UUCP transfers using Xon-Xoff?

You don't need hardware or xon/xoff flow control with UUCP.