SYSV R4.0 High speed UUCP

Jim Deitch jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com
Fri Feb 15 16:46:02 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb10.201122.29918 at comp.vuw.ac.nz> bernd at comp.vuw.ac.nz (Bernd Gill) writes:

>In article <1991Feb7.224752.1932 at rwwa.COM>, witr at rwwa.COM (Robert W.
>Withrow) writes:
>|> I am having major difficulties getting Intel SysvR4 UUCP to work
>|> using
>|> a V.32/V.42bis modem (to uunet).  The problem is that uucico will
>|> quit
>|> (after a while) saying ``alarm n'' where n is 1 through 5.
>
>With high speed modems it is most important to have flow control set up
>properly. Any lost or corrupted packets cause alarms. Depending
>on what protocol you are using you need the following flow control:
>
>Protocol Used           Modem       	   		Computer
>g-protocol		xon/xoff OFF			xon/xoff OFF
>			RTS/CTS  ON			RTS/CTS  ON
>			Error Correction OFF
>
>f-protocol		xon/xoff OFF			xon/xoff OFF
>			RTS/CTS  ON			RTS/CTS  ON
>			Error Correction ON
>
>Modem Error Correction sometime interferes with the g-protocol (which
>uses software error correction) and should be OFF.

HUH?

    That means:
1.  I can't use a Telebit modem's uucp spoofing because the modem
    has to do pep for it to work, but that pep is an error correcting
    protocol done by the modem.  Right?

2.  That the uucp transfers that have been happening the last six
    months wern't really happening, and all those bits are on the
    floor behind my computer?

3.  You made a mistake in the chart, and I am responding before the
    corrected one comes out.

Which choice?

Jim

ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch at nosc.mil