14 character file names

Andy Crump andyc at bucky.intel.com
Tue Feb 5 00:42:15 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 2 Feb 91 19:03:51 GMT, rvk at cbnewsh.att.com (robert.v.kline) said:

robert.v.kline> I've heard that SysVr4 will allow longer file names longer than 14
robert.v.kline> characters.  The current version of SunOS allows 256 character names.

In SVR4 you have the option to configure a given filesystem as either
UFS or S5.  In the S5 filesystem, filenames are only 14 characters, in
the UFS filesystem, they are the same as in the Berkeley fast file
system.

There are utilities in SVR4 (e.g. compress) that create filenames and
refuse to create any that would be greater than 14 characters.  These
utilities, IMHO, should check the filesystem type before making these
decisions.

--

    -- Andy Crump

    ...!tektronix!reed!littlei!andyc | andyc at littlei.intel.com
    ...!uunet!littlei!andyc          | andyc at littlei.uu.net

Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed here are my own and
            not representive of Intel Corportation.