14 character file names

James Howard jrh at mustang.dell.com
Thu Feb 7 14:46:30 AEST 1991

In article <ANDYC.91Feb4134215 at bucky.intel.com>, andyc at bucky.intel.com
(Andy Crump) writes:
> There are utilities in SVR4 (e.g. compress) that create filenames and
> refuse to create any that would be greater than 14 characters.  These
> utilities, IMHO, should check the filesystem type before making these
> decisions.

I made exactly the change you describe above to compress in our V.4
product, and it will be on the next update.  If you have examples of
other commands with this problem, I would appreciate a email reply
with a list of them.

James Howard        Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
(512) 343-3480      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:jrh at mustang.dell.com
                    Austin, TX 78759-7299