Can DELL SVR4 directly access files in DOS partitions?

Bill Norcott norcott at databs.enet.dec.com
Thu Feb 21 07:08:19 AEST 1991

I am considering DELL UNIX System V Release 4.  I will also have a DOS
partition.  I want to use DELL to back up and restore files from the DOS
partition using tar with my Archive Viper 2150S 150 MB tape drive (DC-600
style cartridges), and Adaptect 1542B SCSI controller.

Can Dell mount DOS partitions as if they were part of the UNIX file system,
or otherwise get at the files directly?  I am also looking at ESIX, which
provides an "mcopy" utility to copy files between DOS & UNIX partitions.  I
would rather not have to copy all my files from the DOS partition to UNIX
to do backups, as it is time consuming and wasteful of space.

I also prefer not to spend $XXX dollars to buy DOS tape backup support from
Adaptec.  Info on how DELL and other 386 UNIX's take care of this is welcomed.

Bill Norcott
Digital Equipment Corporation