X11R4 problems

Chin Fang fangchin at elaine44.Stanford.EDU
Fri Feb 22 05:34:35 AEST 1991

In article <1175 at gagme.chi.il.us> proto at gagme.chi.il.us (Mike Protofanouis) writes:

>I have now been able to sucessfully build the kernel, but am now
>getting an X startup error:
>
>Creating TCP socket: Invalid argument
>
>After that, the X screen comes up but I can't type anything.

Please do the following (assuming you use C shell):

xinit 2> ~/errlog to capature all errors emitted by xinit.
ls -l /usr/bin/X11/X /usr/bin/X11/X386 >> ~/errlog
ls -ld /usr/lib/X11/fonts >> ~/errlog
ls -ld /dev/X >> ~/errlog
displaypkg >> ~/errlog

Do a ls -l in /usr/bin/X11 and /usr/lib/X11/fonts/[misc,75dpi,100dip] and
take a look of these file permissions, are they owned by root? grouped by
other?

By the way, you don't need to have the Remote File Sharing Package installed
to use X386 1.1.  But you will always get three *error* messages (no harm
however).

Finally, please DON'T use Thomas' install.sh for ESIX without checking/
editing it first. There are some small difference between ISC for which
the script was written and ESIX. A very quick simple heck can fix it.

Please post and I will respond.  (I went thru all your problems already!)

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University