Found: pcnfsd that knows about /etc/shadow

Keith Ericson keithe at sail.LABS.TEK.COM
Sat Feb 23 05:15:21 AEST 1991

In an earlier article I wrote:

>I'd appreciate it if I could get a pointer to the solution to a
>problem that _must_ have been solved already:  systems employing the
>/etc/shadow file for password storage fail to authenticate
>prospective pcnfsd users.

Well, Geoff Arnold (geoff at East.Sun.COM) was kind enough to send me
source for a "shadow-aware" version of the pcnfsd authentication
daemon.  It took a little bit of work (_very_ little if _I_ could do
it) to get it running.

I've returned a copy of the program as I compiled it to Geoff.
Basically I had to work around some include files I couldn't find,
minor difference in mknod/stat, and other minor things.  The changes
are #ifdef'd in (the code Geoff sent already looked for _some_ ISC 2.0
differences, do that was easy enough.)

I can now use my ISC 2.0.2 machine as an authentication server for
our PC-NFS machines.  Thanks, Geoff!

kEITHe