SCO TCP/IP: lpr service?

Tillman Basien basien at pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de
Tue Feb 26 18:36:53 AEST 1991

rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

>I'm about to install TCP/IP between various systems, including a few SCO
>Unix 3.2.2 boxes, an RS-6000, and an NCR Tower.  I've also got a DOS
>system serving as a gateway into a Novell network.

>Looking through SCO's TCP/IP manual, I find no support for standard
>lprd services which I used to run on a Sun network with various other
>systems (like a VAX/VMS system running Multinet).  What gives?  Did
>SCO really leave out something as fundamental as printer service from
>their costly TCP/IP product?  How do I get my lpr / lpq / etc commands
>to work via TCP/IP?

for us, it was no problem that lpd is missing. Our lineprinter scripts are
working wir the rcmd and/or with rsh. You setup remote shell commands over
the network and piping your stdout trough it.
So try pr filename | rcmd host "lp -ooptins"

Ferst you must test, wether you have access to the user system for the
lineprinter.
So login as root, change your group to the lineprinter group with su
try to run date for example on the other host:
	:root
	su lp
	id
	rcmd host date

If this failes, setup a .rhost-file by the printers home directory.

--
					             basien at PEM-Stuttgart.de
Dipl.-Ing. Tillmann A. Basien           PEM Programmentwicklungsgesellschaft