SCO TCP/IP: lpr service?

Keith Moore moore at chili.cs.utk.edu
Sat Feb 23 14:16:29 AEST 1991

In article <6563 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM>, rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
|> I'm about to install TCP/IP between various systems, including a few SCO
|> Unix 3.2.2 boxes, an RS-6000, and an NCR Tower.  I've also got a DOS
|> system serving as a gateway into a Novell network.
|>
|> Looking through SCO's TCP/IP manual, I find no support for standard
|> lprd services which I used to run on a Sun network with various other
|> systems (like a VAX/VMS system running Multinet).  What gives?  Did
|> SCO really leave out something as fundamental as printer service from
|> their costly TCP/IP product?  How do I get my lpr / lpq / etc commands
|> to work via TCP/IP?
|>
|> -rich

I wrote my own version of "standalone" lpr that speaks the Berkeley
lpd protocol.  You can use it by itself or as a back-end to the
SysV-style printer spooler that SCO supplies.  Its command-line
interface is nearly-identical to the Berkeley lpr program.  The
biggest limitation is that there is no lprm or lpq program to go with
it at present, but these would not be too hard to implement.

Let me know if you want it.  If there is enough interest, I'll make it
generally available via the sources groups.
--
Keith Moore / U.Tenn CS Dept / 107 Ayres Hall / Knoxville TN  37996-1301
Internet: moore at cs.utk.edu      BITNET: moore at utkvx