ISC dossette

Emmet P. Gray egray at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 28 01:43:57 AEST 1991

> > Here is something whose answer should be in the 386 FAQ posting.
> >
> > Although I have vpix, I would prefer to be able to use the dossette
> > commands dosput and dosget to read or write DOS files to/from floppies.
> > Unfortunately, as I've seen from many other postings, the ISC dossette
> > software doesn't seem to work (or rarely, at least).
> >
> > Has anyone figured out how to make it work reliably? Or do I have to resort
> > to vpix to move files to/from DOS floppies?  Thanks...todd
>
> ISC already has a fix for this, just order their SSU.5 update.

... or you could use Mtools.

Mtools is a public domain collection of programs to allow Unix systems
to read, write, and manipulate files on an MSDOS filesystem (typically a
diskette).  It will handle multiple floppies, VP/ix dos "images", and
real DOS partitions.

The following MSDOS commands are emulated:

Mtool 		MSDOS
name		equivalent	Description
-----		----		-----------
mattrib		ATTRIB		change MSDOS file attribute flags
mcd		CD		change MSDOS directory
mcopy		COPY		copy MSDOS files to/from Unix
mdel		DEL/ERASE	delete an MSDOS file
mdir		DIR		display an MSDOS directory
mformat		FORMAT		add MSDOS filesystem to a low-level format
mlabel		LABEL		make an MSDOS volume label.
mmd		MD/MKDIR	make an MSDOS subdirectory
mrd		RD/RMDIR	remove an MSDOS subdirectory
mread		COPY		low level read (copy) an MSDOS file to Unix
mren		REN/RENAME	rename an existing MSDOS file
mtype		TYPE		display contents of an MSDOS file
mwrite		COPY		low level write (copy) a Unix file to MSDOS

The current version of Mtools is v2.0.3 (meaing version 2.0 at patch
level 3).

Mtools was posted to the unix-pc.sources news group (and mailed to the
moderator of comp.sources.unix) on the 17th of September 1990.  Since
then, patches 1, 2, and 3 have been posted to unix-pc.sources,
comp.sources.bugs, and emailed to Rich Salz.

In addition, the current version of Mtools and all the patches are
available via anonymous ftp from cerl.cecer.army.mil (129.229.1.101).

Emmet P. Gray				US Army, HQ III Corps & Fort Hood
...!uunet!uiucuxc!fthood!egray		Attn: AFZF-DE-ENV
fthood!egray at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu		Directorate of Engineering & Housing
					Environmental Management Office
					Fort Hood, TX 76544-5057