Which ethernet card to use with SCO Unix ?

Paul Svensson pausv at sssab.se
Fri Feb 22 03:12:49 AEST 1991

We're in the process of equipping a Compaq Systempro with SCO Unix,
and I'm looking for some information on what ethernet card is the
best to use for such a configuration.

Our primary concern is that it works well, also with PCI.  We have no
experience with SCO, and very little with the systempro; we DO know
that PCI can be difficult to get working on some hardware/OS combinations.

This is what we know:

	SPC)	Convergent SPC/200
	D 386)	Compaq Deskpro 386
	D 486)	Compaq Deskpro 486
	S 486)	Compaq Systempro 486
	Nimbus)	RM Nimbus 386
	I 202)	Interactive Unix 2.0.2
	I 22)	Interactive Unix 2.2
	Unisys)	Unisys Unix 3.0
	501)	3Com 501
	503)	3Com 503
	WD)	Western Digital 8013
	Micom)	Micom Interlan ???

	SPC / Unisys / 503	Works well (Only card supported)
	D 386 / I 22 / 501	Works, but is slow
	D 486 / I 22 / 501	Seems to work
	S 486 / I 22 / 503	Works
	S 486 / I 22 / WD	Works
	Nimbus /I 202 / 501	Works
	Nimbus /I 202 / 503	PCI does NOT work
	Nimbus /I 202 / Micom	Does NOT work

Rumors off the net seem to favour Western Digital, but I would appreciate
any positive/negative confirmation on the combination Systempro/SCO/PCI/xxx.

			/Paul

--
Paul Svensson   _   /|   - Every absurdity needs a champion to defend it -
SM5SJS          \'o.0'   Scandinavian System Support    Fax: +46 13 115193