VP/ix over serial/modem lines

Tim Wright tim at dell.co.uk
Tue Feb 12 02:09:34 AEST 1991

In <6423 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

>>As an example of how well it works (for me, at least), I can call the
>>UNIX system from remote over dialup, log in, bring up VP/ix, run IPX
>>and NET3...

>OK, this I have to see to believe.  SCO categorically says this _cannot_
>be done with VP/ix.  They do not support any LAN card under VP/ix.

Well, unless SCO development broke something, THEY ARE WRONG !!!!
*I* have run IPX and NET3 under VP/ix under ISC 2.0.2. It *works*.
This was with a WD8003EB card though, not a 3com card.
>> Only constraint on VPix apps are that they
>>cannot diddle with the DMA (that requires a special kernel driver
>>addition).

>Perhaps that's the only thing SCO doesn't support--DMA.  The Clarkson
>driver for the 3C503 requires DMA, as I recall, so that's why I could
>not repeat your success.

Does it really ?? I haven't looked but most drivers for PC ethernet cards
use programmed I/O on AT class machines.

>Am I running up against a problem with SCO that Interactive has licked?
>I'm aware VP/ix is an Interactive product sold under OEM agreement by
>SCO.  Is SCO getting short-shrift in terms of technical capabilities?
>Or did SCO screw up its own kernel?  If either of these is the case, I
>fear for the future of SCO's customers (yes, I'm one) given the recent
>announcement that Interactive has been granted exclusive license to
>Sys-V rel4 on the 386.  SCO would have to OEM the O/S from Interactive,
>and ...

Interactive have been granted no such thing. PLEASE read the announcement
more carefully. Intel are dropping out of the UNIX software game and ISC are
taking over Intel's product and committing wholeheartedly to V.4. SCO have
made no such commitment (yet). If ISC have an "exclusive license" for the
386/486 version of V.4 then Dell, Microport, UHC, ICL etc. are going to be
very upset :-)

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Tel: +44-344-860456                  | Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
"What's the problem? You've got an IQ of six thousand, haven't you?"