Coherent (Mark Williams Unix)

Palmer Davis davisp at skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu
Sat Feb 9 11:52:42 AEST 1991

In article <CB.91Feb8151806 at tamarack12.timbuk> cb at tamarack12.timbuk (Chris Brewster) writes:

>I'm a new owner of a 386 and
>am at least intrigued by the ads for Mark Williams's Coherent.  I'm told it's
>based on an early version of Unix, has a 64K limit on various things, and is
>slated to come out with a less limited version before long.  Is anyone using
>it? Is it nice?  Is there sufficient user interest to spur third-party
>software developement?  The price keeps me interested.  Thanks--

The people to ask are over in comp.os.misc; there's a "Coherent Digest" that
gets posted there every week or so, and they're pushing for a comp.os.coherent
newsgroup.  I would think that it would be similar to Minix in its capabilities
but more stable and minus the sources.  Many of the more popular utilities and
applications written for 4.3 won't work in it (specifically, most of the GNU
stuff).  I suppose it really depends on what you intend to do with it...

-- PTD --
--
Palmer T. Davis                 |  davisp at scl.cwru.edu  -OR-  ptd2 at po.cwru.edu
Case Western Reserve University | {att,sun,decvax,uunet}!cwjcc!skybridge!davisp