Experience w/high-capacity tape drives?

Mark McWiggins mark at intek01.uucp
Sat Feb 2 06:34:25 AEST 1991

We're finally looking at getting a high-capacity tape drive to back
up our 600 MB (and growing) disk space.  I looked at these six months
ago, but the market seems to be changing fast and I don't know what's
just been released or how good it is.

So: we'll soon have over 1 GB of storage, mixed over Netware and various
Unixes.  I hope it'll all be NFSed together by the time we get the
tape drive, but I can't guarantee that, so the drive should support NetWare
and Unix V/386.

What would you pick today to back all this up?  Some Exabyte type?  A DAT?
Something else?  Can I really use $8 videotapes with Exabytes?  What are
the "gotchas"?

Thanks in advance.  Please reply by e-mail and I'll post a summary.
--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...