X11R4 for Graphics Cards

Martin J. Schedlbauer martin at saturn.uucp
Sat Feb 2 04:28:20 AEST 1991

I'm currently running Thomas Roell's X11R4 server under Esix System V/386 using
a Tseng ET4000 based VGA card (1152x900x8 resolution) with a NEC 4D.

I am pleased with the speed of the server considering it is VGA, but I'd like
to explore alternative graphics cards for the 386.

Does anyone have experience with any 8514/A clone cards, the NEC Graphics
Engine or any other coprocessor based graphics card? They should however be
non-interlaced (I know that 8514/A is by design interlaced, but I heard that
many clone boards are actually working in non-interlaced mode.)

Does the 8514/A server that is available under contrib on expo.lcs.mit.edu
run on Esix? If not what other OS does it run under?

If I have a stream based X11R4 server can I still use the X11R4 libraries
from Roell's distribution?

Does anyone know of X11R4 servers for the above graphics cards?

Any comments are very much appreciated. Of course, a summary response and any
experience I have with any card that I may aquire will be posted. Responses
my mail or posting are welcome.

	thanks,
	...Martin