SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Dave McLane davidg at aegis.UUCP
Tue Feb 26 09:45:33 AEST 1991

In <4511 at alliant.Alliant.COM> werme at Alliant.COM (Ric Werme) writes:

>Well, I just broke down and bought a 386 box and ISC unix for home use.  The
>system runs DOS just fine, but seems to have some sort of problem and likes
>to eat ISC install diskettes.  Despite problems with telephone tag (could it
>be caused by angry USENETters tying up phone lines?), they shipped out a new
>disk Fed Ex.
>
>I forgot to ask about a USENET support address.

After one month of fruitless phone calls, ISC more or less refused
by default to give me a replacement for the multi-user extension
installation disk that was bad "out of the box".

The stated reason was that I didn't have such a disk as the serial
number of my system didn't include it, even though I faxed them a
receipt.  Luckily I got some help from Michel Steiner at
Programmers Connection who has said that ISC will send her the disk
and she will send it to me..... I hope to have it "real soon now"
as I started trying to get in February 12th.

I haven't taken the time to ask about the patch for the bug; who
knows how long that will take.  I'd sure like to see a message from
the first person who actually gets one!

--Dave  <dgm at nova.kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp>