Lan Manager/X

Bob Leffler bob at rel.mi.org
Mon Feb 4 09:00:03 AEST 1991

In article <1393 at pdxgate.UUCP> dmatlock at eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Delbert Matlock) writes:
>What's the word on interoperability between HP-LM/X, SCO-LM/X, and Microsoft
>LAN Manager (1.1 & 2.0)?  In particular, what will be the deal with protocol
>support?  3Com's NBP protocol easily allows for 521K of available memory on
>DOS workstations, so it would be nice to someday see something along the lines
>of an NBP protocol in LM/X.  With 3Com's recent change in direction I don't

The only common non-proprietary transport that I've seen so far is TCP/IP.
With the additional overhead of 3com's tcp/ip port and the apparent lack
of windows 3.0 support  (the win driver appears to only support 3com's nbp)
I'm not totally sure of the benefit.

If you establish connectivity, but the overhead renders the client useless,
I'm not sure that is a win......

I don't foresee things like Decnet or NBP being adopted on all the LM/X
servers.  Perhaps using TP4 or some similar scheme makes more sense.
I guess only time will tell.

Perhaps there will be some major announcements at the upcoming Networld.

bob

--
Bob Leffler, (bob at rel.mi.org), (313) 696-2479               Opinions expressed
Electronic Data Systems, GM Truck & Bus SBU                 may not be those