Lan Manager/X

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Tue Feb 5 03:22:40 AEST 1991

In article <1393 at pdxgate.UUCP>, dmatlock at eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Delbert Matlock) writes:
> What's the word on interoperability between HP-LM/X, SCO-LM/X, and Microsoft
> LAN Manager (1.1 & 2.0)?  In particular, what will be the deal with protocol
> support?  3Com's NBP protocol easily allows for 521K of available memory on
> DOS workstations, so it would be nice to someday see something along the lines
> of an NBP protocol in LM/X.  With 3Com's recent change in direction I don't
> know if this will ever be available now.

The docs for HP-LM/X said that you could use 3Com clients with it only after
3Com introduced a TCP/IP stack for their DOS client software (which was
supposedly in progress at the time - and is definitely available, since HP's
DOS client software uses it).  HP also sells an OS/2 server package which
has TCP/IP capabilities, so you can have HP-UX LM/X servers and OS/2 LM
servers talk to the same clients.

I haven't heard anything about SCO or Microsoft LM/X, but my guess is that
they'll also use TCP/IP, thus requiring TCP/IP capability in the DOS clients.
James B. O'Connor			jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651