SVr4 cpio anomaly?

Dave Close davec at shared.uucp
Thu Feb 28 08:59:22 AEST 1991

System:  386 with Intel SVr4v2.  No tape drive.

Problem:  Backup.  A 2 GB tape is available on the net.  I backup with the
command,

	cd /; find . -print | cpio -o | rsh tapesys dd of=/dev/rmt1 obs=51200

It works reasonably well.  I try to verify the backup with the command,

	rsh tapesys dd if=/dev/rmt1 | cpio -itv

I quickly abort the verify because disk activity and the messages output
indicate that cpio is actually restoring the files, NOT just displaying
their names.  I get messages about files being skipped since the disk version
is newer and messages about an inability to link files which are already
linked.  This doesn't seem right!  The man page for cpio clearly says that
"no files are created" when using the -t switch.

Is this a known bug or something I'm doing wrong?

BTW, the man page for rsh on my system is linked to sh, that is, it is the
man page for a restricted shell.  But the rsh command is the expected remote
shell.  Seems like another minor slip-up.
--
       	Dave Close         Shared Financial Systems          Dallas
        	davec at shared.com       vmail +1 214 458 3850