SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Dave McLane davidg at aegis.UUCP
Thu Feb 14 16:56:15 AEST 1991

> It's going to be very interesting to see how fast ISC responds to this
> now...

As a sample of how "fast" ISC responds, I have been trying for a
month to get them to send me a replacement for the disk that was
supposed to update my $2149 Architech Developer to Multi-User. The
disk got an Uncorrectable data read error, not doubt because the
little cutout for the timing signal hole was running around loose
in the disk which happened to drop out on my foot when I pulled the
disk out ... "Eh, what's that. Oh shit!"

They won't send me a new disk as they claim that I can't possibly
have the disk as the registration number doesn't include
multi-user, even though I faxed them the invoice from Programmer's
Connection where I bought it which clearly states that I have.

Fortunately, Michele Steiner at Prog. Con. was a bit more understanding
and has said that she ISC will send her a disk (in a week) and she will
mail it to me. Kudos to Michele, and a big Bronx cheer to ISC.

New, but related subject: when ISC fires up after the login it puts
this really grotesque series of lines about copyrights and such
which I would like to get rid of. Anybody know if this is possible?

--Dave

Minami Hirao 1-6, Imazato                 The content and process of
Nagaokakyo-shi, Kyoto-fu, 617 Japan           international/cultural
Tel: +81-75-951-1168 Fax: +81-75-957-1087             communication.