SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Brandon Brown brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 15 04:43:14 AEST 1991

davidg at aegis.UUCP (Dave McLane) writes:

>> It's going to be very interesting to see how fast ISC responds to this
>> now...

>As a sample of how "fast" ISC responds, I have been trying for a
>month to get them to send me a replacement for the disk that was
>supposed to update my $2149 Architech Developer to Multi-User. The
>disk got an Uncorrectable data read error, not doubt because the
>little cutout for the timing signal hole was running around loose
>in the disk which happened to drop out on my foot when I pulled the
>disk out ... "Eh, what's that. Oh shit!"

Dave, sorry you have had a "bad experience" with ISC. I have never had
anything but GREAT response, even a time when I trashed my install diskette
4 times before moving my 16-bit video card to an 8-bit slot. (Terrible fix,
I know, but all I wanted to do was get a working system going.) On each
occasion I received a replacement install disk UPS RED.

As for technical support, I have been supported well, even after the announce-
ment of the "response" contracts.

I subscribed to the "Response ix" section so I can get the updates for one
cost, but I would agree that I think that is bogus. I think the people should
pay for the shipping and the cost of the diskette, but we shouldn't have
to pay for engineering on a "bug" fix...

Just my $0.02 worth.

Brandon

|  Brandon Brown                     | Internet: brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu    |
|  Coordinated Science Laboratory    | UUCP:	 uiucuxc!addamax!brando!brown |
|  University of Illinois            | CompuServe: 73040,447                  |
|  Urbana, IL  61801                 | GEnie:    macbrando                    |