Doin' it right (was Re: Comtrol)

John G. DeArmond jgd at Dixie.Com
Sat Feb 9 17:39:04 AEST 1991

root at equinox.UUCP (Super user) writes:

Rob Sez...
>>This is a very sad story.  The year 1990 was a very tumultuous one for
>>Comtrol.

And root at equinox.UUCP (Super user) Sez...
>to a death in the family.". We had a good team at Arnet, too. We still stay
>in touch, too. We're good friends from having worked 8-12 hours a day with
>each other for a couple years. Even though we may work for competitors now, we
>still are great friends.

As the person who got this thread going, I just gotta state what jumps out
at me as I read these tales.

I went through the same thing here in Atlanta at a software company.
World class development team, all good friends, great market but a
bunch of upper management d*ckheads who could have killed Lotus 123 in
their sleep and not even realized why.

It looks like there is a super team of intelligent I/O card designers
on this network.  So why the hell don't you guys get together and do it
right?  That's what a few of my old crew are doing here.  I'd imagine
that between the group, someone could attract a marketing droid or 2
away from one of the dying companies.  Contrary to media-induced beliefs,
money is available.  Hell, it's as close as your Visa/MC if you really
want it bad enough.  And hey, while you're at it, why not do some innovative
things when you design the new card.  With the cheap CAD/CAM software and
hardware now available, you could try several configurations and go with
the one that the test market indicates is most desirable.

I for one would leap at the product from such a company assuming it offered
the service that Comtrol used to offer and if the company could keep the
product buglist down to just one page :-)  So net, what say you?  Anybody
else think this is a good idea?

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)