SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Erik Fortune erik at gogoman.sf.ca.us
Fri Feb 22 22:17:13 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb21.212518.3528 at digibd.com> rhealey at digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:
>	Maybe you've had great response because your site is a huge
>	customer rather than a single user or small company?
>
>	It surprised me how vendor attitude changed when I called them
>	as a single user vs. a worker at a University. I was treated like
>	sh*t when I called as a single user, I was treated like a king
>	when I called as a rep. of the U. What do you think my opinions
>	of those companys were? Guess which companys didn't get my
>	recommendation when time came to upgrade or purchase?
>
>	The good companys treat EVERY customer well, not just the big
>	accounts.

[ unaffiliated plug for SCO support here coming up.   Anyone who
  believes that SCO is evil should probably skip this message to
  avoid cognitive dissonance. ]

Just another point of data here:

    I've reported several bugs to SCO (as a single user, not a large
customer) via email.    They always call me the next morning to talk
about the problem and make sure that they understand it.   Within
a few days I get a followup email message.   I've had them call back
to clarify subtleties or omissions in the bug reports.   I haven't
upgraded yet, so I don't know if they actually fix my bugs :-), but they
sure put on a pretty good show considering that I'm a quantity one
customer.  Oh, yeah -- I'm not in the developer program, and I'm
not paying for additional support.

    I've downloaded quite a few maintenance and enhancement supplements
from their uucp machine sosco.    All have installed and operated flawlessly.

    I've asked for two SLS free supplements from SCO via mail (not all
supplements are on sosco, I'd guess anything with AT&T code is not
available).   One was shipped blue label, the other is out of stock
so I'm on a two week waiting list.   All in all, nothing to complain
about (we'll see when the disk actually shows up:-).

-- Erik
   erik at gogoman.sf.ca.us