C2 and Networking <was: SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386>

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Sat Feb 16 06:32:52 AEST 1991

wengland at stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) writes:

>   As for the Uucp I believe that having strict C2 requires NOT using
>   UUCP and disallowing ftp.  I'm not sure if TCP/IP would be
>   considered a C2 security violation and even running an xterm may
>   be a problem.

I don't think this is true, at least in the case of UUCP. What, after all,
is the difference between a uucp login and a user login? Both operate under
the various discretionary access controls, audits, etc. associated with
C2. FTP may be another story however.