Flicker-free X386 setup for NEC MutiSync II using 36 Mhz (not 32Mhz!)

Chin Fang fangchin at portia.Stanford.EDU
Mon Feb 18 14:14:11 AEST 1991

Shite at sinkhole.unf.edu informed me earlier that earlier Swan SVGA cards do not
provide some clock timings thatnewer ones do.  His timings:

25 28 40 36 0 0 0 45

(25 28 32 36 40 45 56 65 for mine with VCO chip)

The setting I posted earlier *WILL NOT* work without a 32 Mhz clock timing!
You *MUST* have it.

Now for 36Mhz, I have another setting that is probably flicker-free to most
people.  I have tried it with my hardware and am using it now when I am typing
this article.

name        clock    horizontal timing     vertical timing        flag
"752x564"   36       752  788  916  952    564  564  569  594

No special flag necessary.  Be WARNED that this is specifically designed for
NEC Multisync II (horiz. 15.5 ~ 35 Khz, vert. 50 ~ 80 Hz. both automatically)
and 36Mhz clock timing!  Unless you are sure that you have both, *DON'T* use
it!

The setting provides a 63.7 Hz refresh rate, so probably most people won't
sense any flicker.

The rule of thrumb, if I remember correctly, is that above 70Hz, almost *NO*
one would sense any flicker.  60 Hz is marginal, even I can sense flicker
quite easily at 60 Hz by turning away my head from my monitor.  As you can try
the following: (with NEC Multisync II and 36Mhz MUST be available!!)

"768x576"    36       768  808  936  976    576  576  581  606

This one has 60.9 Hz refresh rate already, but a xterm -bg white -fg black &
immediately showed that it was no good so I gave it up.

Finally I would like to thank Thomas Roell again.  His X386 is indeed *VERY*
easy to config.  Superb!

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University