Microsoft C offsets BUG in 386's

Sean Eric Fagan sef at sco.COM
Sun Feb 24 13:58:01 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb23.175948.842 at hq.demos.su> ache at hq.demos.su (Andrew A. Chernov) writes:
>Hi, folks!
>I've found Microsoft C compiler bug in computation offsets in
>structures on my XENIX/386 v2.3.3:

That is the OS version.  You are using the 2.3.0 DS, I suspect.
I suspect this because I fixed this bug for teh 2.3.1 (and unix)
devsys.  If you upgrade, you get a better compiler, including
this bug fix.  (The 2.3.0 msc compiler is 4.5ish; the 2.3.1 and
3.2 and later compilers are 5.1, the same version as the '286
compiler.)

Before you start flaming a product, *any product*, try to see
if there is a cheap/free upgrade to a version that does not have
the bug.  The 2.3.1 ds upgrade qualifies as that.  Note that,
for the 2.3.0 ds, there is an SLS (lng055, I believe) which
consists of little else besides the compiler, since the 4.5ish
compiler received so many complaints.

And, yes, this was written as an SCO employee.  That's why the
From: and Reply-to: lines say what they say.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."