X11R4 problems

Thomas Roell roell at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Tue Feb 26 20:06:00 AEST 1991

>     The Microsoft mouse driver in this X11R4 release seems to be
>broken.  As a workaround, if you have a Microsoft mouse (I do), use the
>following mouse configuration line in /usr/lib/X11/X386/Xconfig:

This is a trivial bug, which will be fixed in the next version.

>	MouseSystems 2 MS "/dev/tty00"
>
>(The Mouse System's mouse apparently uses the same protocol as the
>Microsoft Mouse.)  Don't forget to edit the above line to reflect the
>serial port of the mouse.  Thanks to Chuck Murcko
>(cmurcko at topsail.Topsail.ORG) for this fix.  Microsoft mice also have a
>problem where button presses are not recognized by the server until the
>button is released or the mouse is moved.  I don't have a fix for this.

It's not so simple. There is much more to configure with a mouse, but I
thought it would be complicated to mention the whole syntax. But since the
bug is there now lets talk about it. A mouse configuration has following
format:

DefaultName [buttons] [packages/sec] [baudrate] [protocol] I/O-Port

Defaultname:  Microsoft | Mousesystems | MMseries | Logitech | Busmouse

buttons:      2 | 3                          (2 selects threebutton emulation)

packages/sec: 10 | 15 | 20 | 30 | 50 | 100   (all your mouse allows)

baudrate:     1200 | 2400 | 4800 | 9600      (default used by mouse)

Protocol:     MS |			     (Microsoft)
	      MSC |			     (Mousesystems)
	      MM |                           (MMseries)
              RE                             (Bitpad relativ)

Normally all optional parameters are normally selected by the Defaultname.
If you specify "MouseSystems 2 MS" you select threebutton-emulation and
override the default MSC protocol with MS, thus specifying a MicroSoft mouse.
If you don't want this quircky threebutton-emulation, type instead of
the 2 a 3.
BTW, selection packages and baudrate does not work for every mouse, since only
a Logitech does support this by hardware.

>     Mike Knister (mknister at eecs.umich.edu) says that the cursor keys,
>etc. do not work well, and that the solution is the following (I haven't
>had the time to test it):
>
>! ---------xmodmap file to map life bearable under Esix:----------
>! (for X386 1.1)
>keycode 90 = Delete	period
>
>keycode 89 = Insert	KP_0
>keycode 86 = End	KP_1
>keycode 87 = Down	KP_2
>keycode 88 = Next	KP_3
>keycode 82 = Left	KP_4
>keycode 84 = Right	KP_6
>keycode 78 = Begin	KP_7
>keycode 79 = Up	KP_8
>keycode 80 = Prior	KP_9

Well this is not a bug, it's a feature. REALLY !!! It's the way the new
PC/AT Keyboard proposal suggests it. But since the yuserfeedback showed me
that they want to have working keyboards instead a braindamaged standard, the
next X386 version will do it the old, compatible way.

- Thomas
E-Mail (domain):	 roell at lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
UUCP (if above fails):   roell at tumult.{uucp | informatik.tu-muenchen.de}
famous last words: "diskspace - the final frontier..."