SYSV R4.0 High speed UUCP

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Tue Feb 12 07:41:07 AEST 1991

davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>In article <1991Feb7.224752.1932 at rwwa.COM> witr at rwwa.COM (Robert W. Withrow) writes:
>
>|                     My machine has NS16550A uarts, and I have tried
>| both the built in ASY driver, and the FAS driver.  Neither fixes the
>                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>  Does the new FAS have streams support? I had al older one which
>didn't, and I didn't even look at the new one yet.

No. But some SysVr4 users reported that they could use FAS with the
help of certain SysVr3 compatibility functions that are still in the
kernel but are not guaranteed to be in future releases of SysVr4.

On the other hand, I got reports from some people that FAS doesn't
work under SysVr4 (kernel panics and the like). I don't know whether
these contradicting statements are caused by differences between the
SysVr4 versions (they were from different vendors), or by differences
in kernel hacking experience.

In the mean time I'm still waiting for my Dell SysVr4 copy. I'll start
working on a port to STREAMS as soon as I get the tape.

     Uwe
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Germany      |  UUCP : ...!unido!fub!geminix.in-berlin.de!gemini