SYSV R4.0 High speed UUCP

Bernd Gill bernd at comp.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Feb 11 07:11:22 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb7.224752.1932 at rwwa.COM>, witr at rwwa.COM (Robert W.
Withrow) writes:
|> I am having major difficulties getting Intel SysvR4 UUCP to work
|> using
|> a V.32/V.42bis modem (to uunet).  The problem is that uucico will
|> quit
|> (after a while) saying ``alarm n'' where n is 1 through 5.

With high speed modems it is most important to have flow control set up
properly. Any lost or corrupted packets cause alarms. Depending
on what protocol you are using you need the following flow control:

Protocol Used           Modem       	   		Computer
g-protocol		xon/xoff OFF			xon/xoff OFF
			RTS/CTS  ON			RTS/CTS  ON
			Error Correction OFF

f-protocol		xon/xoff OFF			xon/xoff OFF
			RTS/CTS  ON			RTS/CTS  ON
			Error Correction ON

Modem Error Correction sometime interferes with the g-protocol (which
uses software error correction) and should be OFF.
--
Bernd Gill				Dept. of Computer Science
					Victoria University of Wellington