arc for '386 Unix

Grant DeLorean grant at bluemoon.uucp
Mon Feb 4 03:26:05 AEST 1991

rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

>>	Is arc available for '386 Unix?

>OK, I must be running for political office:  I never did answer the
>question.  Does anyone know of a Unix pkarc?  Or a tree-oriented DOS
>archival utility with data compression?

>Finally, is the pkarc system 'open', i.e. non-patented and non-trademarked?

 Pkarc is Phil Katz's clone/improvement of ARC, which is owned by
SEA (and whose ownership of the word "arc" was held up in court).
SEA sued Mr. Katz (the mentioned court function above) and won on
Phil's use of the word ARC and a archiving program compatable with
theirs. ARC is not pd anymore (funny, it was before SEA came along).
Phil tried renaming PKarc to PKpak but SEA went back to court on it
as it was still compatable with their ARC program. This is why Phil
created PKzip.

 (hmm, the DOS compression wars in a nutshell)

 ARC is not free, but the source is available from SEA for a fee.
It is available elsewhere for free, but SEA expects you to pay them for
it anyway...  The source is anything but clean, anyway.  Zoo or lharc,
both of which are free (not PD, but free) and available on a wide
variety of platforms, make better formats for sharng files among the
various machines.
--
 Grant DeLorean  (grant at bluemoon)    {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!grant