arc for '386 Unix

Tin Le tin at szebra.uucp
Mon Feb 4 11:30:26 AEST 1991

In article <6334 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>julian at bongo.info.com (Julian Macassey) writes:
>>I often have need to send files (usually text) to other people with
>>other systems. In the Unix world compress seems pretty universal ...
>>
>>	Is arc available for '386 Unix?
>
> [mentioned several archivers for *NIX, zoo, lharc, etc...]
>
>OK, I must be running for political office:  I never did answer the
>question.  Does anyone know of a Unix pkarc?  Or a tree-oriented DOS
>archival utility with data compression?

I have the "real" arc running on ISC 386/ix S5R3.2.  The source is based
on v5.2 of arc that was release several years ago to the net.  It's not
PD per se, but I believe private home use is allowed (I haven't read the
doc file in it for a while).

The source for it is on szebra, available for anon UUCP.  I'll make the
binary available too if there is enough demand.

szebra
1-408-739-1520
Telebit+ 300-19.2K bps
Login:    nuucp
Password: nuucp

>Finally, is the pkarc system 'open', i.e. non-patented and non-trademarked?

ARC is a trade-marked name by SEA (Software Enhancement Associates).  They
sued the people who created pkarc and won.  That's why pkzip came about.

-- Tin