SYSV R4.0 High speed UUCP

Rob Healey rhealey at digibd.com
Fri Feb 22 09:32:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb17.195353.25156 at rwwa.COM> witr at rwwa.COM (Robert W. Withrow) writes:
>Yes, and there is the rub.  My interpretation is that each modem
>manufacturer has implemented V.42/V.42bis slightly differently (this
>was the gist of a Byte review of these modems) leading to
>incompatabilities.  I know for a fact that I cannot do 9600 BPS UUCP
>using a Practical Periphials modem to a Telebit T2500 when using
>V.42(bis) LAP-M/compression.  If I turn off the V.42/bis stuff the
>transfer works OK.

	Try puttsing with the direction that compression is allowed on
	the Telebit side. You CAN turn off compression and just use
	LAP-M, this worked betwixed my T2500 at home and the MultiTech
	at work. The T2500 can also be told to do compression in both, one
	or neither direction. What I did in the end was switch to MNP 5 and it
	all just worked.

	Why use LAP-M when MNP works just as well? The only way you'll
	get 4x compression out of V42.bis is if you transmit zeros...
	You'd be surprised how well zero's compress... B^). In my
	practical experience, MNP 5 does just as well as LAP-M/compression.

		-Rob