Modem interoperation blues

Robert W. Withrow witr at rwwa.COM
Tue Feb 19 04:11:01 AEST 1991

>I would suggest that you call and try some test transfers.

Trust me, I've tried!  You must remember:

 1) I don't own a Telebit modem.  Telebit is thus (reasonably)
somewhat reluctant to provide me with technical support.  I suppose I
could buy one just to debug the problem, but I don't understand why I
should do modem manufacturers R&D for them...

 2) Even if I were to get technical support from them and they
determined that there was an `incompatibility', without test equipment
on my end it would be difficult or impossible to tell where the fault
lies.  For example, if Telebit told me that the PPI modem was
``wrong'' (which, incidentally, they have already done)  should I
belive them?  Do you think PPI would?

 3) PPI, the modem I *do* own, doesn't seem to know what uucp is (it
is not mentioned in the owners manual, and their support people were
not conversant about it)!  In fact, the technician I spoke to had
never heard of Telebit!

The upshot of all this is, when dealing with V.42/V.42bis and UUCP:
Don't be surprised if modem manufacturer A's modem fails to work with
manufacturer B's modem.  Don't expect to see a flurry of concern from
Tech Support if they don't work.  Do expect to spend hours and hours
of your own time diddling with your modem settings and software
options to get it to work.

The good news is that if you are persistent, you are likely to get it
to work.

--
---
 Robert Withrow, R.W. Withrow Associates, Swampscott MA 01907 USA