Problems with multi-user upgrades (was Re: SECURITY BUG)

John G. DeArmond jgd at Dixie.Com
Fri Feb 15 05:21:26 AEST 1991

davidg at aegis.UUCP (Dave McLane) writes:

>> It's going to be very interesting to see how fast ISC responds to this
>> now...

>As a sample of how "fast" ISC responds, I have been trying for a
>month to get them to send me a replacement for the disk that was
>supposed to update my $2149 Architech Developer to Multi-User.

>They won't send me a new disk as they claim that I can't possibly
>have the disk as the registration number doesn't include

>Fortunately, Michele Steiner at Prog. Con. was a bit more understanding
>and has said that she ISC will send her a disk (in a week) and she will
>mail it to me. Kudos to Michele, and a big Bronx cheer to ISC.

Meanwhile, all you have to do is replace /bin/login with either a public
domain version or one from ISC 2.0.2.  The login process is the place
where the 2 user version checks for the number of users.  I've seen
no evidence of it being checked anywhere else.  Indeed, this is how
I upgraded this system.  I had a hassle getting the upgrade disk (must
be standard company policy) so on a hunch, I tried /bin/login from
my previous version of Unix.  Voila!  So now even though I have the upgrade
disk, it is laying on the shelf unopened.

If you don't have a public domain login (several have been on the net
at various intervals), see me in email and I'll ship you one.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)