FAS 2.08 async driver, part 1/4

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Feb 18 14:20:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb14.175311.849 at sci34hub.sci.com> gary at sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:

| No. The HUB-6 is a discontinued problem. You should be able to replace
| the 8250s with 16550As, though; I believe they're pin-compatible. Be
| real careful taking out the 8250s, and install sockets to make life
| easier.

  I will offer a suggestion on doing this. Considering the future use of
8250's and the cost of a new board, I would cut the 8250 off the board
with a diagonal cutter, then unsolder the pins one at a time, letting
the board cool between pins. I have access to professional equipment to
do this other ways, but this seems to work as well or better if you
don't want to salvage the chip coming out.

  If you do pin one, then the diagonally opposite pin, and alternate up
one side and down the other, you usually get the right timeing. I wait
until the board next to the pin I'm about to do is cool enough to touch
and hold.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX