TCP/IP under SCO UNIX with CUTCP/NCSA

mark hilliard mark at gizzmo.UUCP
Fri Feb 15 13:58:41 AEST 1991

You said that you entered the ethernet address  that was listed on the back of
the card.  I just installed 2 ODT systems using the WD8003 also, and nowhere
did I enter the ethernet address, instead I entered a IP address ie:
129.126.55.28 which was automatically put into a file called /etc/tcp, which
starts up tcp/ip on boot up.  You also need to enter your IP address in
/etc/hosts as well as those for the systems that you wish to reach ie:

127.0.0.1	localhost	local
129.126.55.28	brandon  <-------------------local system
129.126.12.158	brandy

When the system comes up then you should be able to ping the remote system.

If this information is not there or incorrect (ie: your IP address does not
match your machine name), you can still ping localhost and yourself, but you
will not get out onto the wire.

You also mentioned that you just ran thinwire ethernet (RG-58 50 ohm cable with
BNC connectors) between your 2 machines, did you put a terminator at each end?
If not your WILL have problems.

Forgive me if this has already been done on your system.  I am NOT an
ethernet expert, but I have put together about 20 systems of various types and
connected them with TCP and NFS and struggled through the configuration and
setup.