TCP/IP under SCO UNIX with CUTCP/NCSA

bknox at well.sf.ca.us bknox at well.sf.ca.us
Sat Feb 16 01:00:23 AEST 1991

I'm trying to set up a TCP/IP "network", but I've got rather stuck.

I am using SCO UNIX 3.2.2 and SCO TCP/IP Version 1.1.1. Hardware is Western
Digital WD8003 Ethercard Elite ethernet cards (1x16bit and 1x8bit).

At the moment, all I want to do is be able to TELNET into the UNIX system
from my PC.

So far, I have installed the 16-bit WD card in the UNIX system and the
8-bit one in the PC, and have joined them together with some 'cheapernet'
cable. The DOS-based diagnostic utilities supplied with the cards work and
show that packets sent by one card are received OK by the other.

The UNIX installation has been completed successfully using mkdev wd and
mkdev tcp. When I was asked to enter the Internet address of the ethernet
card, I entered the 'network address' number which was on a label on the
back of the card. I've been able to 'ping localhost' and TELNET to myself
with no problems.

The difficulties I've been having relate to getting the PC connecting to
the UNIX system. I've got CUTCP V2.2 (Clarkson University's version of NCSA
Telnet).

It seems to be setup OK (when I use the loopback address, 127.0.0.1, what I
type is echoed correctly). However, when I try setting up a connection to
the UNIX system using TELBIN (I type ALT-A and then enter its network
address), CUTCP puts up the trying to connect message, and then quickly
clears the screen and goes into 'session' mode where presumably I should
get a login prompt. However, nothing is displayed -- even if I type RETURN
several times.

After about 30 seconds, the screen clears again and the program exits.

The odd thing is that after I've tried to connect from the PC, if go to the
UNIX system and run a netstat -A (which shows the addresses of 'protocol
control blocks'), an entry is displayed for each attempt I have made to
connect from the PC. The entries stay on the list for about 5-10mins. Here
is an example:

$ netstat -A
Active Internet connections
PCB      Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address      Foreign Address    (state)
d1108a04 tcp	    0	   0  morag.telnet	192.1.164.48.7183  SYN_RCVD
d1108a84 tcp	    0	   0  morag.telnet	192.1.164.48.6643  SYN_RCVD
d1108c84 tcp	    0	   0  morag.telnet	192.1.164.48.3638  SYN_RCVD
d1108d84 tcp	    0	   0  morag.telnet	192.1.164.48.3048  SYN_RCVD
$

Finally, when I put TELBIN.EXE in server mode and try to 'ping' it (using
ping followed by the network address) from the UNIX system I get
the error:

    ping: send: Network is unreachable

Now, my questions:

Does anyone know what the SYN_RCVD means?

Should I have put details of the PC (network address or..?) in any of the
tcp/ip config files on the UNIX system?

Are the network addresses printed on the ethernet cards the same
as the IP addresses?  If not, how (or where) should I map one to
the other?

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this setup might not be working?

Can anyone give any pointers as to how I should proceed?

As the answers to these questions may be fairly specific, please
reply by mail, and I'll summaries to anyone else who is
interested.

Thanks.