SPECmarks....

Santiago Newbery newbery at stout.atd.ucar.edu
Sat Feb 9 10:35:48 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb8.201336.24388 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:

|>I have heard of benchmarks before, even landmarks, but what are SPEC marks?
|>
|>My boss asked me to find out what the SPEC mark ratings for an Intel 386
|>and an Intel 486 were. Do any of you happen to have that information?
|>
|>I would really appreciate it!
|>
|>If you don't know the SPECmark for the 386/486, could you send me a message
|>with your machine, and its SPECmark?

The Specmark comes from an industry consortium which includes workstation
vendors such as Sun, IBM, HP and Intel. This benchmark is a composite
of the results of 10 different tests. The idea is that the Specmark
suite is less susceptible to benchmark "cheating" than the Dhrystone-based
MIPS benchmark. Others complain however, that is more weighted in favor of
floating-pt. performance vs. integer performance, so Intel branched off
and created the I Spec or Integer Specmark.
In any case here is some data:

Workstation                  MHz         Specmark          I Specmark

Compaq DeskPro 486           25            8.7                12.9
Sun Sparc IPC                25           10.0                11.2
Sun Sparc SLC                20            7.6                 9.5