UUCP TIMEOUTS

Volker Herminghaus-Shirai vhs at britesun.radig.de
Mon Feb 25 04:55:41 AEST 1991

stlouis at unixg.ubc.ca (Phill St. Louis) writes:

>We are using Hayes V-series Smartmodems 9600.

>We have five Interactive Unix 2.2 386 machines that are to send data to a
>Sun Sparcstation (SunOs 4.1.1).  Using uucico -r1 -x9 -shostname,
>and communicating in both directions with the 3 machines that are more
>than 2,000 miles away, I am getting the message:

>expect: (CONNECT)
>^JATDTphone-number-here^Mtimed out

>The following line in the Dialers file gets me very close to a connection,
>but does not quite do it.

>hayes9600  =,-, "" \dAT\r\c OK\r \EATS37=9DT\T\r\c CONNECT-\c-CONNECT

>How do I adjust the Dialers file on these machines to allow more time for
>the modem handshaking to take place on these long distance phone calls?

>Alternatively, how can the timeout period be adjusted on the Sun
>and on Interactive Unix?

I had the very same problem with the uucico on my SparcStation 1. In fact
I actually patched the uucico-binary to get a timeout of 64 seconds instead
of the hard-coded(!) 45 seconds. Here is the program I used:
#include <stdio.h>

long offset = 14128l;

/* This is only for SunOS 4.1.1 Sparc */
int value[100];
main()
{
int buff[100];
int i;
FILE *fpin;

	fpin=fopen("uucico.patch","r+");
	fseek(fpin,offset,0);
	fread(buff,25,1,fpin);
	for(i=0;i<25;i++)
		printf("%04x ",buff[i]);
	fseek(fpin,offset,0);
	getchar();
	buff[5]=(unsigned int)0x90102040;
	for(i=0;i<25;i++)
		printf("%04x ",buff[i]);
	getchar();
	fseek(fpin,offset,0);
	fwrite(buff,25,1,fpin);
	getchar();
	fseek(fpin,offset,0);
	fread(buff,25,1,fpin);
	for(i=0;i<25;i++)
		printf("%04x ",buff[i]);
	}
}

It was pretty hard to find the right place in the binary to patch.
Also, if someone knows a good program that does binary patching
on arbitrary files using command line arguments I would be glad
to have it since I don't want to write a C program every time
I patch something :-)

>Thank you!
 Hope I could help.

 Volker