UUCP TIMEOUTS

Phill St. Louis stlouis at unixg.ubc.ca
Sat Feb 23 07:31:23 AEST 1991

We are using Hayes V-series Smartmodems 9600.

We have five Interactive Unix 2.2 386 machines that are to send data to a
Sun Sparcstation (SunOs 4.1.1).  Using uucico -r1 -x9 -shostname,
and communicating in both directions with the 3 machines that are more
than 2,000 miles away, I am getting the message:

expect: (CONNECT)
^JATDTphone-number-here^Mtimed out

The following line in the Dialers file gets me very close to a connection,
but does not quite do it.

hayes9600  =,-, "" \dAT\r\c OK\r \EATS37=9DT\T\r\c CONNECT-\c-CONNECT

How do I adjust the Dialers file on these machines to allow more time for
the modem handshaking to take place on these long distance phone calls?

Alternatively, how can the timeout period be adjusted on the Sun
and on Interactive Unix?

Thank you!