FAS 2.08 problems...

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.ssdl.com
Sat Feb 9 17:40:52 AEST 1991

In article <7457 at crash.cts.com> jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>I'm having a problem with FAS 2.08.  The problem I am having is
>getting it to work with both my standard COM1 and COM2 ports and my
>AST FourPort card.  I can use either one card or the other, but if I
>have both of them in my system, there's a problem.
>
>If I use my original AT I/O card, I get an unkillable process when I
>try to do a cu to COM1.  I can not do a ~. to get out of cu.  Everything
>works ok with my AST card both with cu and under VP/ix.

It took me a little longer this time, but I did get FAS 2.08 running,
and it seems to be working fine with the standard com1/com2 and Steve
Nuchia's 4-port card.

When I finally got everything configured, I found a nasty problem with
my cabling -- I had the hardware flow control lines (RTS/CTS) straight-
through instead of swapped (between 2 machines).  You might want to
check that out.

In the initialization, it almost appears that flow control depends on
DSR, which isn't available on Steve's board.  I removed the reference
to DSR from the flow control variable.

Finally, be REALLY CAREFUL not to start gettys on ports that are disconnected.
I've had several system crashes that I can't pin-down, but happened
since installing FAS 2.08.  I think it's probably wise to obey Uwe's
warning about this.

--
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.              gil at limbic.ssdl.com   ...!ames!limbic!gil
Southwest Systems Development Labs (Div of ICUS)   Houston, Texas