Help with Anonymous FTP

Rob Miracle rwmira01 at ulkyvx.bitnet
Fri Feb 22 08:15:34 AEST 1991

Good Day!  I know this question has been asked here before, but since I have
just started recently reading these groups I thought I would ask.

I am trying to set up an anonymous FTP account on my AT&T box.  We are running
System V R 3.2.2 from AT&T and the AT&T ENHANCED TCP/IP WIN/386 package
(Wollongong).  In the Installation and Administration Guide it says:

"If the username is "anonymous" or "ftp" and an "anonymous" account is present
if /etc/passwd, the user is allowed to log in by specifying any password.  Since
anyone can log in under "anonymous," it is wise to restrict the access
privileges of this account."

Problem #1, AT&T SVR3.2.2 only allows 8 character file names, thus "anonymous"
can not be created.  By hand editing /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, I added the
account as:   anonymous:x:1000:100:FTP Anonymous Account:
and put the proper enter in /etc/shadow.  Now I can FTP to a real account and
it works find (had to get that one out).  When I try to login, it barfs saying
that it can't login to anonymous.  I try various tricks, such as logging in as
ftp and anonymou but to no avail.  I try the next logical thing.  I remove the
anonymous account and add an account called ftp.  Now I can log in, but any
access other than CD barfs with a message:

PORT 136,165,2,12,8,17
200 PORT command okay
NLST
425 Data Socket not created [0.0.0.0,0]

(This is from a VMS host), and from an unix host:

200 PORT command okay
425 Data Socket not created [0.0.0.0,0]

Now I can log in as a real person and it works.  CD commands seem to work fine,
but I can't test them beyond not getting an error message.  I tried it with and
without a password of the ftp account.

Problem #2  It seems that the CD command can get anywhere on the system.  How
do I restrict it to just the tree that I want it in?

Thanks in Advance
Rob
--
Rob Miracle              | Bitnet   : RWMIRA01 at ULKYVX    CIS: 74216,3134
Programmer/Analyst-II    | INTERNET : rwmira01%ulkyvx.bitnet at cunyvm.cuny.edu
University of Louisville | UUCP     : ...psuvax1!ulkyvx.bitnet!rwmira01
"Revenge is a dish best served cold.  It is very cold in space"
       -- Ancient Klingon Proverb