Dell SVR4 on non-Dell hardware?

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Feb 11 03:38:37 AEST 1991

In article <290 at mondy.UUCP> mdm%mondy at ralph.lafayette.la.us writes:

|    I purchased a Paradise Vga Professional before Dell started selling that
| card or selling unix.  I bought it because it was 100% HARDWARE compatible
| with the IBM.  Since it works, I'd IMAGINE that any other 100% hardware
| compatible would work - at least at standard resolutions.

  I ripped the code out of fractint to put a standard IBM VGA (and all
the goof CGA clones I ever tried) into 800x600 mode, and I E-mailed it
to Dell V.4 development. I suggested that it would be a great thing to
put in their X server. I guess they're not doing that (although I
expect a new X server, possibly two) out of Dell by the end of the
month. The comment was made that interlaced mode is not "visually
acceptable" for X. I am really unhappy with any vendor who tells me that
something wouldn't be acceptable to customers, when other programs use
the feature and are accepted.

  I have been assurred that the Rowell server will be out, an enhanced
version of the current server is also being developed, and that the AT&T
X and NeWS server will come out eventually. Note that Dell decided to go
with X11R4 and give up NeWS, rather than stay with X11R3, and I think
that's a reasonable decision.

--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX